Butiama is the birthplace and burial location of the ‘Father of the Nation’, Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere, the founding president of Tanzania who began his political career in the early 1950s, led Tanzanians to independence in 1961 and remained in politics until his voluntary retirement in 1985.
What to do in Butiama?
Take a visit to the Museum of Mwalimu Julius K. Nyerere and experience the following
- You will trek on the Chamuriyo hill, visit German soldiers hiding caves, graveyards and get a panoramic view of Lake Victoria, Serengeti plains, and surrounding human settlements
- Visit community development projects, local schools, and health centers found in the area
- Visit the cotton farm and see how people practice cotton farming
- Stay with the Wazanaki family and enjoy traditional food and their unique lifestyle.
- Volunteer in the nursery, primary or secondary schools teaching various subjects
- You can also have a wonderful volunteering experience in health projects within and around the Mara region
- Experience and enjoy beautiful landscapes with hills and mountains
Butiama village tour. A welcome to Mwalimu Nyerere homestead. Get a guided tour around the home and the Mwalimu Nyerere’s mausoleum then proceeds to the Mwalimu J.K. Nyerere Museum and then to the village area where cassava farms are found. Get a glimpse of cassava farming. Visit a traditional healer famous for treating infertility together with other diseases since ancient times.
Visit Nyerere’s homestead and then proceed to the Butiama Museum before walking to Mtuzu hill, a short memorable Kili trekking tour which is organized every September to raise money for charitable ends.
Ngoreme Hot spring Tour. Our visitors will have an opportunity to explore a hot spring found in the area while enjoying magnificent iconic kopjes dotting the land and finally get a cultural insight of Wangoreme inhabitants of the area. Listen to folklore and nice stories about their culture as it’s explained to you by Wangoreme elders.
Serengeti National Park. We can link you to Serengeti National Park, the home of the great wildebeest migration, a most spectacular rut of wild animals.
Full-day tour. Take a round guided walk around Father of the Nation’s homestead and then walk down through a village to visit a traditional Wazanaki homestead, to explore the culture, and then proceed to visit Kyarano dam and the farms of Mwalimu Nyerere. Visitors with a full day may opt to visit the German soldiers hiding caves, a place used as an armory for military weapons and German graves that exists since colonial times on Chamuriyo hill.
Traditional Ceremonies and Events
The energetic Wazanaki traditional dancers will give you an insight into their culture through their captivating songs and dances. You can watch, experience, and even participate in a variety of dances symbolizing various occasions and traditional events such as traditional marriage and bride-price giving ceremonies at home.