Lemala Ngorongoro is intimately set in a delightful ancient acacia forest close to the rim of the magnificent Ngorongoro Crater. As it is located next to the quiet Lemala crater access road on the eastern side, a key advantage of staying at Lemala Ngorongoro is the quick and easy drive down onto the crater floor in the morning.
Lemala guests usually have an hour’s head start over others descending via the far busier Seneto crater access road on the western rim. Game drives from camp may start as early as 6.15 am and guests can be down among Ngorongoro’s abundant
Lemala Ngorongoro Tented Camp has 9 spacious tents that are positioned carefully to provide privacy and with minimal impact on the pristine forest environment. They accommodate two queen-size beds, and as it can get cool on the Ngorongoro Crater rim at night, little luxuries like warm winter-weight duvets, hot water bottles, and gas heaters ensure a cozy night’s sleep. The roomy en-suite bathrooms contain a dressing area, a flush toilet, and a large safari-style shower.
The mess tent is beautifully furnished with grand sofas, lamps, bookshelves, and corner cabinets in old wood, chests, and rugs. In the evening, guests can gather around the campfire to exchange tales of the day’s safari followed by a sumptuous hearty meal.
Meaning of Lemala
Lemala is derived from the Maasai name ‘Emala’ which is the gourd that the Maasai ladies place near the river when bathing to signify to the men that they should give the ladies privacy. It was presumed that ‘Emala’ was difficult to pronounce, so it was changed to Lemala. Lemala signifies women, water, privacy, and respect, which are of importance to us as we grow within local communities.
Why choose Lemala Ngorongoro Camp?
- They have 9 tents furnished with 2 queen-size beds (triples available on request)
- Very attractive en-suite bathroom with flush toilet and hot safari-style shower
- Availability of sufficient power, 24-hr solar electricity with a backup generator
- They offer a big mess tent with an adjoining lounge and bar
- They offer complimentary internet in the lounge and bar
- They offer a complimentary laundry (limited services only)
- There are enough charging facilities for devices in the lounge and bar
- It is easy to access through the plane, the nearest airstrip is Manyara, just a 75-minute drive away
- They offer a complimentary drink (except for premium wines and spirits)
What do they promise?
Lemala commits to providing exceptional quality guest experiences that are competitively priced in superbly sited camps and lodges, to guests wishing to explore the Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Lake Manyara National Park, and the Serengeti National Park Tanzania’s famed Northern Circuit in comfort whilst retaining an intimate connection to the environment that they have come to experience.